If you’re looking for a tropical escape to spend the holidays, Maui is the perfect destination! From Thanksgiving through New Year’s Day, there are plenty of fun events and activities happening all over the island. Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy Maui during the holiday season.
Discover even more things to do on Maui in our Free Vacation Guide. This exclusive planning tool gives you access to all the top attractions on the island, including local restaurants, events, shops, museums, outdoor activities, and more.
The Best Things to Do for the Maui Holiday Season
November on Maui
Maui County Festival
Delve into Maui’s local culture at the 10th Annual Made in Maui County Festival from November 3-4 at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center. Explore a variety of unique crafts, apparel, and gourmet treats from Maui, Molokai, and Lanai’s finest vendors. Engage with live performances and demonstrations, making your Maui holiday an unforgettable island adventure.
Thanksgiving on Maui
Annual Turkey Trot
Embrace the Thanksgiving spirit in Maui at the Annual Turkey Trot in Keokea Park. This playful 5K marathon invites you to flaunt your most whimsical costume while enjoying a scenic run. With laughter filling the morning air and the community coming together, this event adds a unique, joyful touch to your island vacation.
Many restaurants and even dinner boat cruises around the island host Thanksgiving dinners you can enjoy for the holiday. Use OpenTable to search for available restaurants.
Christmas on Maui
Enjoy holiday shopping at Whaler’s Village finding special gifts for your loved ones. This shopping mall has a directory to help guide you to find the shops you’re looking for and your patronage supports the community. Another great place to visit is The Shops at Wailea, where you can enjoy gift shopping, dining, and the festive atmosphere of the holiday.
Tree Lighting Ceremony at the Grand Wailea
In December, join the community in the Tree Lighting Ceremony along with pop-up events for charity, holiday dining, a holiday marketplace, live performances, a visit from Santa on Wailea Beach, and so much more!
The Reluctant Elf
Enjoy a live performance of The Reluctant Elf featuring Steve the Elf. This hour-long holiday musical is full of all of our favorite holiday songs. Bring your family and friends to enjoy feeling like a kid again and celebrate the holiday season with cheer!
Enjoy Craft Making at the Hui No’eau
This nonprofit visual arts education center offers holiday craft-making events at a fine arts studio. Enjoy learning to make your own Christmas wreath, wire-wrapped ornaments, or other craft-making projects they host each year. Spend time with your loved ones and make a gift for the holiday season.
New Year’s Eve on Maui
New Year’s Eve on Maui is a bustling time with numerous festivities. Among the celebrations, the Wailea New Year’s Eve Fireworks are a crowd favorite, lighting up the sky as the clock strikes midnight. Restaurants around the island, like Merriman’s in Waimea, offer special menus to welcome the new year with a feast. To witness the fireworks from the sea, many opt for a cruise. The Pride of Maui New Year’s Eve Cruise is one of several options, providing a unique vantage point for the brilliant display.
Other Ways to Celebrate the Holidays on Maui
Maui is known for its beautiful beaches, but there are plenty of other activities to enjoy during your Maui vacation. Here are some of our favorites:
– Whale watching: Maui is one of the best places in the world to see humpback whales! These gentle giants can be seen off the coast of Maui from November through May.
– Maui Ocean Center: This aquarium is a great activity for the whole family. It features Maui’s unique marine life, including sharks, turtles, and stingrays.
– Maui Arts & Cultural Center: This center hosts a variety of events and exhibits throughout the year. During the holidays, they offer special performances and workshops for children.
– Maui Nui Botanical Gardens: These gardens feature native plants from all over Hawaii. They offer guided tours, as well as a variety of classes and workshops. Make a living wreath with native plants that can grow outdoors for months or years with proper care!
– Maui Historical Society: This society offers tours of historic sites on Maui, as well as lectures and exhibits on Maui’s history.
There are also plenty of great restaurants to enjoy on Maui during the holidays. Some of our favorites include:
– Morimoto Maui: Founded by Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto, Morimoto Maui offers a unique fusion of Japanese and Hawaiian cuisine.
– Maui Brewing Company: This brewery offers a variety of Maui-made beers and spirits, as well as a menu of locally-sourced food. There are several MBC that you can find in Kihei, Lahaina, Kailua, and Waikiki.
Where to Stay on Maui for the Holidays
If you enjoy an island stay that is elegant, modern, and climate-controlled, then there is no better option than a holiday getaway with PMI Maui! Our modern, clean condos will make your Maui getaway the easiest, stress-free vacation you’ve ever had.
To make sure your trip is the best it can be, PMI Maui provides some of the best vacation rental properties on the island and in Kamaole Sands. Not only will you feel at home, but you’ll have the most upscale, top-notch stay! You don’t have to feel like a tourist on Maui; you can experience it like a local!